Comments: Window Coverings

Hmmm - I HATE curtains with a passion, they are always such a royal pain! It sounds like you can do one of two things.

1. Insulated custom made curtains. These are either special material with insulation "sprayed" on the back of it. Or the regular curtain material with a dense lining. I've had the first type and it really keeps the light out well. They were pinch pleats with the draw cord opening. Is Calico Corners down in St. Louis? Or Penney's used to - read years ago - have a decent curtain department that also did custom orders.

2. Less substantial curtains or maybe even just a valance and custom made room darkening roller shades. I've had these too (these you DEFINITELY must have measured professionally even if you install them yourself so you get the right width and length). Periodically they have to be taken down and "re-rolled" to tighten them up, but I liked them and they also work well. For these, check out blind stores - we have a place called Eddie Z's up here that did good work for us. I don't know if it's a chain though...

Really the only thing I dread about moving is going thru the curtain thing in a new house! I truly dislike it. I hope you can find something that works for you!

Posted by Teresa at June 26, 2004 09:41 PM

Ugh. I'm having to deal with this myself, and I'm just as ignorant as you are. Suggestions:

1) everyone says custom drapes are better;

2) the Pottery Barn catalogs have some really nice-looking stuff in the back, though it doesn't use the most conventional hardware (which is nicest--you just go to the room and draw the drapes from one spot, without having to pull rings along a rod)--but it's got bitchin ideas for types of fabric;

3) the curtain rods in our bedroom have three layers, which is nice: a) sheers for blocking any view into the room, but still getting lots of light; b) heavier drapes, which block most light; c) some decorative-only drapes that come out only six feet from the end of each wall, so each wall is totally covered with three different types of fabric;

4) the hotels in Las Vegas and in Alaska use drapes that are coated with light-blocking material that is industrial-strength and WORKS.

Posted by Attila Girl at June 28, 2004 03:06 AM

Those industrial-strength drapes are backed with a flame retardant rubber. Roller shades are sold with a heavy silver coating on the back to reflect heat. Both are often called blackout curtains. Hey, I used to work night shift; you learn this stuff fast.

Posted by Drew at July 1, 2004 11:07 PM