Comments: Co HB 1224

I think that "transfer" has a specific meaning in the context of firearms law, which does not encompass transitory episodes. I'd have to dig for a bit to find the legal definition.

I would also point out that there is such a thing as rectangular tubing, so broadly speaking, the STANAG is tubular. But then so is Fee Waybill.

Hard to think of how you'd get a cylindrical tube magazine to feed in an AR. It'd take a different bolt carrier, at least, I think.

Posted by jed at February 8, 2013 04:41 PM

Transfer may be defined elsewhere, but going on the language of this bill it'd seem to cover a temporary loan. There's an exemption for shooting ranges run by a commercial concern, as well as an exemption in your home if life & limb are threatened, so that by implication means temporary transfers are "transfers" according to this bill.

It could be superfluous like DiFi exempting bolt action rifles from her AWB, but I think the courts would construe "transfer" to be as simple as me handing you something to look at for a few seconds.

The big problem with an AR tube mag would be those danged pointy bullets. It'd have to be a tube large enough to offset the spitzer to primer interface. I can think of a few ways to do that but all are complex & thus more prone to malfunction - just what an AR needs ;)

Posted by Publicola at February 9, 2013 01:32 AM

The pointy bullet problem has already been solved by Hornady -- LEVERevolution Ammo (they should get Ron Paul to endorse it).

Posted by jed at February 9, 2013 08:25 AM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?