Comments: Spring and the TTC

Debbye, you Americans are altogether too violent a people.

Just look at your own language.

"I think, given the chance, most riders would gladly dump the members of the Transit Commission. We'd even burn them in effigy if service would improve as a result."

Now this is not far from the literal truth for many Iraqi civilians, women and children that actually are incinerated almost daily in Iraq as the American Occupation grinds into its third year.

Then consider how this violence abroad that Americans experience, finds its way home, as it did tragically in Minnesota earlier today.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/03/21/minnesota050321.html

The headline reads:
"10 dead in U.S. school shooting"

The article goes on to report the following:

"RED LAKE, MINN. - At least 22 people have been killed or injured after a gunman went on a shooting spree in northern Minnesota.

At least eight were shot and killed at Red Lake High School on Monday afternoon. Two others, a man and a woman, were found dead inside a home in the community."

The article continues:

"Monday's incident is the worst school shooting in the United States since two teens went on a killing rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, killing 12 students and a teacher and wounding 23 before killing themselves, on April 20, 1999."

It is profoundly sad that so many young people should have to die because the US Government is incapable of protecting its own citizens at home. None of these young people died at the hands of international terrorists. They died at the hands of the NRA gun lobbyists in Washington.

I wish to express my profound sadness and condolences to thinking Americans that have to keep viewing these tragedies without any hope of ever stopping this violence in American society.

I cannot erase from my mind Charleton Heston boasting about the rifle in his "cold dead hands" when I think of these dead youngsters who died almost before their lives began.

As John Kerry said of his friend who died in Vietnam, "What a goddamn waste".

Posted by Joe Green at March 21, 2005 10:18 PM

"I wish to express my profound sadness and condolences..."
But, of course, this is bullshit, isn't it, Joe? If you were sincere, you would not have jumped at the opportunity to use the tragedy to advance your WeAreNotCowards! protests. By the way, Einstein, the guns he used were reported by the police to belong to his grandfather, a tribal police officer.
Of course, Canada has no murders or mass murders, right? Oops.
PS: I just knew that either you or BG would start a hatefest over this. It is just the perfect ingredient for a Canadian HateAmerica rant.

Thanks for sharing, Joe. I can always count on at least one Canadian to embarrass his country at this blog.

Posted by mikem at March 21, 2005 11:21 PM

Joe:

How did you get from crappy TTC service to a high school (and family) massacre?

As for burning someone in effigy, isn't this the routine tactic for the looney left at their demonstrations?

Apparently you don't see the irony in criticizing the U.S. for being violent mere weeks after the RCMP suffered its biggest loss (four officers murdered)since its formation.

Posted by John B at March 22, 2005 10:50 AM

"UGGGGGGGHHHHHH-"

*SPLURT*

"OH GOD YOUR FACE, YOUR FACE"


Posted by Blackglasses at March 22, 2005 11:22 AM

Argument #10,774 against the existence of comment boxes on the internet appears to be in progress. . . . .

Posted by SparcVark at March 22, 2005 11:29 AM

Well obviously if Redwing Minnesota had it's own TTC this never would have happened.

Or maybe the student was upset about "Just some thoughts as I prepare to start my work week (which starts in a little over an hour.)"?

"I wouldn't have to shoot all these kids if only they didn't make people in Canada work so much!"

Posted by Jay at March 22, 2005 12:42 PM

SparkVark, you rule!

Good work, Mike and Jay. There is a clear connection between Toronto bus service, Canadian working conditions, and the Minnesota shootings. I blame Karl Rove.

Exactly, John B. Glass houses indeed.

Joe, are one strange dude. I must post more often or you will be forced to twist posts to find an anti-American angle.

As for the TTC Commission, I really hope they have a lovely time in Rome because I was worried they recently raised my fares to improve service or meet contract demands by the drivers.

But you missed the true target: my gloating over the imminent demise of the snow banks, which I'm pleased to report are retreating steadily in the face of relentless spring weather.

Their days are numbered, yet not one word of protest from Joe or Blackglasses about American imperialism and the imposition of Western values on a reluctant Winter. Where are the human shields?

Maybe they're silent because the snow banks are under assault from a multilateral coalition of Northern Hemisphere nations, so the violence inflicted by shovels is alright because France doesn't object.

Alas, the coalition doesn't include Australia which has chosen to go it alone and will confront Winter without her Anglosphere allies or U.N. approval. Tsk tsk.

Posted by Debbye at March 22, 2005 06:33 PM

I THINK SO YES!!! NOT HAVING ANY IDEA WHAT WE'RE DISCUSSING!!!!

DONGS????? EXHAUSTED REALLY QUITE TIRED HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGG TIRED!

COCTEAU TWINS?

Posted by Blackglasses at March 22, 2005 07:04 PM

Debbye wrote:

"But you missed the true target: my gloating over the imminent demise of the snow banks, which I'm pleased to report are retreating steadily in the face of relentless spring weather."

So sorry Yankee, you make terrible, terrible mistake!

We just let you think you were melting the snow banks, while we were actually planning a major counter-offensive. The largest this winter. The fresh snow has been falling all day throughout Canada as we move to reclaim the True North Strong and Free --- and ah White. Latest reports show that our tactics have succeeded beyond everyone's wildest imagination as Yankees are fleeing the fresh onslaught of the Canadian counter-offensive.

American multinationals are leaving in droves as flights from Pearson have been backlogged for days, while the Canadians press on with their attack.

One right wing newsblog interviewed the Canadian Chief of Staff and asked how did such a brilliant counter attack succeed so brilliantly. The General said that this was a rerun of the Battle of Stalingrad where the Germans showed up with light summer garb to face the Russian Winter that Khruschev and the Ukrainians were about to unleash upon them.

While Yankees were slip sliding away in Toronto's Pearson Airport, Canadian combat troops, fully armed with shovels and mittens and armed to the teeth with fully rated felt boots, pressed the attack. Over a foot of snow in just a couple of hours; it was impressive and warmed the heart.

The Yankees are falling back and hoping to regroup in Hawaii. The Canadian battle cry was "remember New Orleans!" as they bombed American positions with snowballs that size of grapefruits.

Meanwhile the Canadian airborne parachuted into Pearson Airport, fully armed and fully equipped with snowshoes. The commanding colonel told the press that "we are here to stay, and we want to make sure they leave and don't come back until they have developed a proper respect for the snow at the heart of Canada's sovereignty.

He then told the Yankees that the newsconference was over and they had to get their asses over to Terminal Two where hot meals were being served to all "detainees".

The colonel said he was tempted to leave them in the snow banks, but that he did not want countries like Israel accusing Canada of torture.

Posted by Joe Green at March 22, 2005 08:53 PM

So Rubert, aka "Joe Green", exactly how many pseudonyms do you write under anyway? BTW, it is time consult your physician to increase/decrease the dose. Whatever you are taking now does not appear to be working.

Posted by Flea at March 23, 2005 12:10 AM

Fleabag wrote:
"So Rubert, aka "Joe Green", exactly how many pseudonyms do you write under anyway?"

Answer = none.
Joe Green is my real name.
Can you say as much?
Thought so.
Coward.

Posted by Joe Green at March 23, 2005 12:26 AM

Mikey said:

""I wish to express my profound sadness and condolences...""

"But, of course, this is bullshit, isn't it, Joe?"

No, I meant what I wrote. If you have been reading what I write, you will know that I have condemned all killings. In your schools, in Iraqi schools, in Washington suburbs, in Baghdad suburbs. Its a great pity that you are so cynically wrapped up as Churchill would have observed; "a riddle wrapped up in an enigma". Churchill was referring to the Soviet Union, but it applies equally to the new Fascists in Amerika.

Now, let me walk you through this Mikey, so open your eyes, and listen up. This is a political blog where people surf in from all over the world to post their opinions about political issues that Debbye in her wisdom leads off with.

Posted by Joe Green at March 23, 2005 12:34 AM

"...you will know that I have condemned all killings."

Oh, really now? I just now posted a response to your passionate demand that Terri Schiavo be killed to save American democracy. Bad timing for your bullshit, Joe.

The fact that you don't even understand the inappropriateness of your using the recent tragedy to advance your HateAmerica views is no surprise. Way over the average 'civilized' Canadians head.
"Amerika"... How cute, Joe. I can't tell you how many times I have smirked at seeing "Canaduh" used, but I personally do not use it, not wanting to be associated with such childishness. I see you view yourself differently.

Posted by mikem at March 23, 2005 12:50 AM

Mikey wrote:

""...you will know that I have condemned all killings.""

"Oh, really now? I just now posted a response to your passionate demand that Terri Schiavo be killed to save American democracy. Bad timing for your bullshit, Joe."

You obviously do not have much reading comprehension. If you did, you would know that I have condemned this entire circus created by Republicans that have made the US Congressional system the laughing stock of the democratic free world.

And you would also know that I do not support ending Terri's "life" through dehydration and starvation in this manner. My view, is that Jeb Bush failed to provide moral and political leadership in this issue by simply arranging matters so that the State would ensure that "brain dead" individuals like Terri would be cared for until they die of other natural causes, under the care of doctors who adhere to the hypocratic oath. I do not support Euthanasia either, and I do not support any idea of "getting it over with" as long as doctors can be sure that she feels no pain or suffering. If doctors are not sure they should try to do the best they can to control pain and suffering, and we need to leave difficult medical matters to them in deciding questions of medication, pain control and natural dying processes. In my view, its vital that doctors not be ever put in the position of "ending life", but rather they should keep trying their best to save Terri's life and heal her if they can. Its just that for Terri, the odds are very long indeed. Now Jeb Bush did not do that because like his brother he prefers a circus to a sound and ethical policy.

Furthermore I do not agree with pseudo Christian heretics like Jerry Falwell who make up all kinds of stories about how Terri is "smiling" or doing any of the things that would contradict the hard medical evidence in this case.

Why is it so hard for Falwell and other American fundamentalist Republicans to preach on Sunday that those who "sin" are "dead" and then not accept that Terri is also "dead"? I say the reason is that they are the same type of hypocrites that Jesus drove from the Temple.

I also think that the Republicans have done a terrible amount of harm to Terri's family and to her husband. They have done things in a way that does not end their emotional suffering and grief.

That, even the UN would recognize as a form of "torture".

Had Jeb Bush done his job, the millions that have been pissed away on legal processes would have been avoided, and the tens of millions more wasted by the Congress would have all been avoided.

There could have at least been some peace for Terri's parents and siblings, and her husband would have been able to get on with his life because Euthanasia is not, and should not be lawfully available to them, and ending his wife's "life" through asphixiation, dehydration or starvation would not be on the table as it now is.

The lawyers and the politicians have removed an ethical outcome, which was to care for Terri until she died of natural causes, NOT for Terri's sake, but for our own as a civilization.

I expect that is too hard a concept for you to grasp Mikey, but that was my actual position. Governor Bush should have simply brought forth a process that avoided this issues, paid the bill for Terri's care, and then defended his position that in these circumstances it was less costly then supporting the circus that has now been winding through the US Courts for the past seven years. But he lacked compassion and he lacked common sense.

I guess, being American, you do not study ethics to the same extent as other people in other countries.

Posted by Joe Green at March 23, 2005 01:57 PM

Joe, sometimes I just plain feel sorry for you. This is one of those times. You obviously gave a great deal of thought to how to extricate yourself from the taint of your previous comment on Schiavo in which you quite clearly condemn the efforts to save her life. Today you think it is an outrage that she is being starved to death (good for you!), but try to find a way to lay it all on a Bush head (any Bush will do?) by condemning Jeb Bush for not 'interfering' earlier, which is precisely what you blast the other Bush and Congress for doing.
You are so clearly trying to find a way to condemn Republicans regardless of the outcome, regardless of what they would do, that you could easily be convicted of using her struggle to live as political fodder just as you did with the massacre.
You say America is a laughing stock because Congress gave voice to its concerns, but you condemn Jeb Bush for not 'creating a process to avoid' all this. What the hell are you talking about? Did you chuckle at your 'cleverness' in coming up with this? Any chance that, in your eyes, the "process" would be any less of a "laughing stock", that democracy and the system would be any less circumvented than you are already condemning America for? Just how and where should Jeb Bush have taken the issue away from the courts and met your approval, given your melodramatic predictions of the end of democracy for what George Bush and Congress have done so far?
I carefully read your post, more than once since it did not have a logical thread to it. Your intent seems to be to condemn whatever a Republican does, or did not do earlier, to save this woman's life, while at the same time stating that her life should be spared. WTF?
And please, I'm 51 and have had decades of listening to people condemn the people who are actually doing something and then demanding that 'a process be created' that will solve the problem without hurting anyone's feelings. But they never actually have a solution, just a mysterious miraculous process that only the enlightened can see (and need not share). That this should be the centerpiece of your attack on Republicans just adds to my sadness over a piece you obviously put a lot of work into.
For ethics, I'll say this, I don't think Schiavo should be killed on the word of a greedy ex-husband. And I don't care who saves her or how, short of violence. Your ethics revolve around Republicans being the ones who are trying to save her and how they are trying to do it. I'll live with my ethics. You should work yours down from politics to basic justice.

Posted by mikem at March 23, 2005 03:25 PM

mikem wrote:

"You say America is a laughing stock because Congress gave voice to its concerns, but you condemn Jeb Bush for not 'creating a process to avoid' all this. What the hell are you talking about?"

There actually was nothing for Jeb Bush to "create". All the tools exist already where the Government of Florida already has the power and authority to effectively take over the role of guardianship over Terri and it has had that authority for at least fifteen years. There was nothing required of Mr. Bush, except to discharge his responsibilities as governor. In fact one reporter pointedly asked Mr. Bush how come it took fifteen years for the government of Florida to act. Bush answered that they has just now assembled all the information. I say that Jeb is a liar like his brother.

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, for it tolls for thee.

You are essentially for all your 51 years, basically a moral cripple. I say that not because of your support for the Republicans, but for your evasions as a "neocon". You make excuses when you should have clear and unambiguous answers.

You not only persist in misrepresenting what others have said (as was the case above) but you continue to evade the morale core of this issue with Terri's "life". Furthermore, you just cannot get past your principle mode of thinking, which is to find someone to blame, such as the husband in this case. Has it never occurred to you that he must be facing an almost impossible and endless emotional pain, to do what was right for his wife, to come to terms with her loss, to face the lies and libels and slanders thrown against him, and to somehow find a way forward, to somehow find a way past the bitterness that Terri's situation has visited upon the entire family?

There are Conservatives in the US I expect who actually are compassionate, but the "neocons" that have created this circus are not among them. They simply latched onto Terri's tragedy for political gain, and now it appears that might backfire with the public as well as the courts.

And if that happens, and if Jeb Bush fails to do what he should have done fifteen years ago, or five years ago, then indeed America will be a laughing stock, that the Bush Family will have delivered the black eye that your country would rightly deserve.

Finally, go back and read everything I have written and then try to tell me what was there that I had to extracate myself from. Let me suggest to you that the correct answer is "nothing".

I was right about this matter from the beginning, because I took a position that the Vatican agrees with, and which the Democrats partially agree with and which decent Republicans would agree with. The only bunch that strongly disagree with me are Joe McCarthy's Republican "neocons" like you.

Why am I not surprised?

Posted by Joe Green at March 23, 2005 05:42 PM

"There actually was nothing for Jeb Bush to "create". All the tools exist already where the Government of Florida already has the power and authority to effectively take over the role of guardianship over Terri and it has had that authority for at least fifteen years."

You are blowing smoke and hoping no one calls you on it. Just what are the "tools" (the mysterious tools now replaces the "bring forth a process") that you say Bush should have used 15 years ago? You expended a lot of energy explaining how immoral various Republicans are for not implementing these miraculous tools and processes. How about you expend a few lines and describe what you are proposing so we can determine if it is possible? I suspect you have not because you are blowing smoke. Prove me wrong.
Are you proposing that the government intervene immediately and early and take over all brain damage cases from the affected families? So far, that is what you seem to be hinting at but certainly you can't expect that to be a solution to the problem, or do you? Inform us.
You are talking like John Kerry. Criticize everyone who are trying to do something and then offer some nebulous miracle solution that you cannot reveal.
What Solomonic opportunity did the Republicans pass up 15 years ago that would have solved this problem?

Posted by mikem at March 23, 2005 08:33 PM

According the the Governor, during a press conference, that was attended by other officials of the State of Florida, there exists a committee or a commission for the protection of vulnerable adults in the State of Florida. That commission always had jurisdiction to act in cases like Terri's.

Terri case is not very complicated. The husband's evidence is that Terri would not have wanted to live as a vegetable. Terri's parents want to keep her alive under any circumstances and are prepared to do it if granted the "right" to do so.

Clearly the husband and the parents are "conflicted". The State should have intervened in court, and stated their position that NEITHER husband nor parents should have legal guardianship, but it should have passed to a state official. That official should have simply issued instructions that would have provided for Terri's care until she died of natural causes. Withholding food, water and other essentials of life in Canada is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE. It should also be so in the US for very similar reasons in common law.

Terri would have eventually died of some cause over which the doctors had no control. Its absolutely essential that doctors not be asked to assist anyone in a "merciful killing". That is because Euthanasia itself is wrong.

Let me put it this way. Humane killing of pets, dogs, cats, and other animals is required of us as civilized persons. But we are not to engage in the humane killing of our own species. That is for nature, not doctors to decide, as long as doctors are able to control the pain and suffering.

In practice, the doctors may require very large doses of painkillers to control the pain, but that is not the same thing as mercy killing.

As for Jeb Bush, he as governor had all the tools he needed to have provided Terri with the care she needed, and to have provided a humane and also a legal answer to this family. And he could have accomplished it at a fraction of the cost required to run the circus of lawyers, experts, judges and courts that this court has seen, to say nothing of the public costs of legislatures, congress and the senate and of course President Bush's midnight helicopter flights to sign the bill into law.

The tens of millions of dollars wasted on this case would have paid for the care of a dozen cases like Terri's in Florida. It would have given the public a better feeling, it would have been much better for Terri's family and even for her husband who would have been freed of the responsibilities of being Terri's legal guardian.

But then, these "neocons" would not have been able to turn this into a "pro-life" circus for political gain.

Indeed, one reporter did ask Jeb Bush why he waited fifteen years to act? Bush answered that all the information he required did not come together until the last few days.

I say he's a liar like his brother in the White House.

Just have a look at the interviews with the Bush Bros. on CNN, it paints a pretty clear and graphic picture of an inept and incompetent pair of politicians.

Posted by Joe Green at March 23, 2005 09:04 PM

That is it? That the state of Florida should have demanded that a judge grant it guardianship of Terri Schiavo because the family members were in conflict? Would you want the state (and state taxpayers) to decide whether you live or die? How would a judge justify taking custody away from family and handing it over to the state without a finding of abuse, neglect or abandonment? We don't allow the state to do such things. You have raised a solution that is not possible in America and I can see why you were reluctant to reveal your 'obvious' solution. It is also decidedly NOT a tool or process available to Jeb Bush, now or then. I guess he could have asked. He could also ask for 'the right of kings' to decide all manner of citizen issues that are complicated.

“Terri case is not very complicated. The husband's evidence is that Terri would not have wanted to live as a vegetable. Terri's parents want to keep her alive under any circumstances and are prepared to do it if granted the "right" to do so.”

This is not true. It is very complicated. You saying it is not does not change that. Terri's husband made no mention of Terri expressing a 'living will' desire to him in court. His testimony in fact was quite the opposite. That Terri needed a large award to provide for a lifetime of medical care. It is only after the lawsuit was won and the money guaranteed that saint michael suddenly decided that she would have wanted to die after all. Isn't that suspicious to you? It stinks to high heavens. And only one judge has decided on facts, the first judge. All other rulings have been jurisdictional and technical.
You also falsely state that her parents “want to keep her alive under any circumstances”. They want her to have rehabilitative therapy that saint michael has forbidden. They don't trust saint michael's suddenly awakened memories that she expressed, to him alone, a desire to die under these circumstances. They have stated that if Terri had expressed such a desire, they would honor it. But she didn't.

You were right to try to hide the 'obvious' solution that Jeb Bush should have put into use. It doesn't exist, at least not in this or most cases. No judge is going to hand over custody of a family member to the state unless there is evidence of abuse, neglect etc. Your unnamed “solution” was just a pathetic attempt to get political mileage out of a tragedy and blame Republicans somehow, somewhere no matter how this turned out.

Posted by mikem at March 23, 2005 11:05 PM

Mikey wrote:

"That is it? That the state of Florida should have demanded that a judge grant it guardianship of Terri Schiavo because the family members were in conflict?"

Had Terri's case surfaced in ANY Canadian jurisdiction in Queen's Bench, where family members were conflicted like this, the judge would have had the option to exercise his unfettered discretion and appoint the "public guardian" for Terri. All he would have required was evidence that the parents and the husband could not agree on what was best for Terri.

In Alberta for example, the legal processes are almost "automatic" but the end result is very different and that is because the "neocons" do not believe in anything like "pro-life" positions. Had they gained control over Terri in Alberta, she would have been dead in a could of weeks.

The problem in Alberta is not with the Courts, or the law, the actual problem exists with an evil and corrupt "neocon" government.

But that is a different issue.

Posted by Joe Green at March 24, 2005 03:47 PM

Mikey wrote:

"You have raised a solution that is not possible in America and I can see why you were reluctant to reveal your 'obvious' solution. It is also decidedly NOT a tool or process available to Jeb Bush, now or then. I guess he could have asked."

So finally, you are conceding my point that Terri is actually a victim of the American Constitution and that most unfortunate and illegal rebellion in 1776.

The solution I put forward flows straight out of the common law that WAS available to Americans before their nutty notions of "checks and balances".

Just look at what has been created in Terri's case. No one it seems, can keep her alive or has the authority to do something as simple as feeding a helpless and innocent woman. When it comes to obtaining stays of execution for criminals, there is no shortage of procedures and lawyers. But for Terri, it would seem that the entire country has gone mad, from the lawyers, to the Courts, to the Florida Legislature and its inmates, to the Federal Congress, the Senate and the President. None of them have the power it would appear under your misbegotten Constitution to feed a helpless woman and give her water.

Jesus when he was dying on the Cross, cried out "I thirst". And they gave him vinegar. Genuine Christians, (not the pseudo American ones) believe that Jesus died for our sins. Clearly Terri is also going to die because of the sins of her fellow citizens in Florida and the US.


Posted by Joe Green at March 24, 2005 03:57 PM

Hey joe:

You know that song "Screaming at a Wall" by Minor Threat? You're acting it out when you try to talk to mikem.

Seriously. No matter how valid and intelligent your points are, he'll just start calling everyone anti-semites and go on about "CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADIANS" in the hopes of derailing the conversation praying that you don't notice how dumb he really and truly is.

PS MIKEM: How's the jizzy face going, piss bucket?

My dick rubbing offer still stands!

Posted by Blackglasses at March 24, 2005 04:42 PM

So finally we corner Joe Green to identify the 'process and tools' that Jeb Bush ignored, for which Joe lambasted the entire Republican leadership for not employing and it turns out to be CANADIAN, not American. What a waste of time it was to actually assign some credibility to your 'facts' for the last few days. Your dishonesty (or stupidity, I guess you might have just mixed up countries) is pitiful.
Your Canadian process has a decidedly Canadian flavor to it. If we are to believe Joe again, Canadians have decided to allow the state to make decisions of life and death for their loved ones. We can see the philosophy behind this in their foreign policy and even their day to day affairs. Better to look away from a loved one's troubles and pain. Make the state responsible for those pain in the ass, "What would my mother want us to do for her?" questions. Just turn away, turn it over (to the state) and walk away. Decidedly Canadian. Let someone else take responsibility. Let someone else do the painful emotional work. Better we just don't get involved in it. That way no one will be mad at us. Utterly Canadian way of looking at the world and now shamefully, at family responsibilities.

"...Terri is actually a victim of the American Constitution and that most unfortunate and illegal rebellion in 1776."

Proud of this one, Joe? Did you think that such shameful pomposity and cruelty was going to make me angry and give your fellow Canadians a temporary respite from their chronic inferiority complex? It doesn't. It makes me proud to be American and not YOU.

"their nutty notions of "checks and balances"

Those nutty Americans and their stupid checks and balances on government. Only an idiot American would not see the value of unbridled power. (1938 Germans would have agreed wholeheartedly with you, Joe. Way to take lessons from the losers.)

Your entire post is self lampooning.

Posted by mikem at March 24, 2005 08:28 PM

CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADIANS

TOTAL LINES: 14
TOTAL CANADA COUNT: 7

MIKEM HAS CANADA ON THE BRAIN!!!!!

Perhaps he secretly desires Canada! (The same way anti-gay activists want hott hott men)

SO, YOU'RE A CLOSET CANADIAN, EH MIKEM?
Come on out!!
OUT OF THE CLOSETS, INTO THE STREETS!!!

PS: I have now taken your post and changed the nationality. It's funnier. HERE:

So finally we corner Joe Green to identify the 'process and tools' that Jeb Bush ignored, for which Joe lambasted the entire Republican leadership for not employing and it turns out to be AMERICAN SAMOAN, not American. What a waste of time it was to actually assign some credibility to your 'facts' for the last few days. Your dishonesty (or stupidity, I guess you might have just mixed up countries) is pitiful.
Your SAMOAN process has a decidedly SAMOAN flavor to it. If we are to believe Joe again, SAMOANS have decided to allow the state to make decisions of life and death for their loved ones. We can see the philosophy behind this in their foreign policy and even their day to day affairs. Better to look away from a loved one's troubles and pain. Make the state responsible for those pain in the ass, "What would my mother want us to do for her?" questions. Just turn away, turn it over (to the state) and walk away. Decidedly SAMOAN. Let someone else take responsibility. Let someone else do the painful emotional work. Better we just don't get involved in it. That way no one will be mad at us. Utterly SAMOAN way of looking at the world and now shamefully, at family responsibilities.

"...Terri is actually a victim of the American Constitution and that most unfortunate and illegal rebellion in 1776."

Proud of this one, Joe? Did you think that such shameful pomposity and cruelty was going to make me angry and give your fellow SAMOANS a temporary respite from their chronic inferiority complex? It doesn't. It makes me proud to be American and not YOU.

PPS: Mikem's writing style is absolutely terrible. He obviously cuts and pastes in MS Word before hand, but it can't hide the fact that at best he's a hack with an introductory level writers craft course behind(Final grade: D-. TOO PURPLE!).


Posted by Blackglasses at March 25, 2005 03:20 PM

I have read this latest angry rant from Mikey, and I think what he wishes to actually express is a kind green jealousy of a peaceful neighbouring country that is a much better place to live than what he and his fellow Americans have been able to achieve with unbridled greed, corruption and automatic weapons that killed and injured another 22 students, teachers, family members and others in the "American family" this week.

He also says that I do not "understand" how powerless the Bush Clan really is to save Terri's life. Because I somehow am applying "Canadian Values" to an "American Problem". Well, let me simply suggest that the Bush Clan are hypocrites without the slightest interest in Terri or her family; this is about pandering to the lowest common denominator in the American electorate. The Bush Clan want to be telling the heretics in the American psuedo Christian Churches that Republicans care about the "right to life" issues, while American Republican Judges kill Terri with their negligence and what Ayn Rand would admire as their "cold reason".

The cold however is the cold of a Komodo Dragon, its fangs dripping with venom, not that of any sound and reasoned human thought.

Posted by Joe Green at March 25, 2005 06:13 PM

Mikey wrote:

""their nutty notions of "checks and balances""

"Those nutty Americans and their stupid checks and balances on government. Only an idiot American would not see the value of unbridled power."

I never advocated "unbridled power" in any single person's hands.

The Canadian Prime Minister for example, lives minute by minute "at the pleasure" of his caucus, which can end his job without any delay or process to speak of.

The Americans are the ones that have invested their President with unchecked power, with nuclear weapons, and with the ability to wage war on other countries, with or without proper authority of the people and by the people, as the Constitution calls for, but which no one actually follows in Washington, except perhaps for elderly Senator Byrd.

Consider the nature of the circus that the Bush Brothers brought to the American people this week. The Congress passed a law (not a resolution, but a "law") that was to provide for the continued care for a vulnerable adult in Florida. The Senate passed a law. The President signed a law. The Florida Governor always had the authority to take Terri into protective custody, but declined to use it. All these Republicans are claiming to be on the side of the "right to life", while Republican Judges all refuse to recognize the clear and very specific legislation passed by Congress, the Senate and approved by the President. The Republicans on the Supreme Court demonstrated their "legal courage", by refusing to actually consider these "new facts" in the case, since the "voice of the people" does not matter very much in the US. It kind of reminds me how their conduct reflected Saddam hiding in his spider hole.

At least this part of the story is clear, however; Republicans never did give a shit about the "voice of the people".

Then they are all going to wring their hands and tell the world how there was nothing more that could be done.

Jesus would have condemned them all as hypocrites.

As do I. As do I.

What a pity that Martha Stewart and poor Terri were not Canadians because these vile injustices would have never befallen them in Canada. A flawed constitution written by wild eyed revolutionaries, radicals, cut-throats, and other social degenerates in the seventeenth century is what lay behind the injustices visited upon both these women.

Posted by Joe Green at March 25, 2005 06:34 PM

Congress voted and authorized both wars...oops, Joe Green caught bullshiting again.
There is no process for the government to take custody away from any family, without a finding of neglect, abuse or abandonment. Remember yesterday when you had to cite Canadian law in answer to my question?... oops Joe Green caught bullshitting again.

Your favored Senator Robert Byrd, Einstein, is a retired Klu Klux Klansman, for real. Don't you feel like an idiot after having used the juvenile "Amerika" spelling, now that you have shown your approval of the real thing? No, of course not. It would take self awareness.

Your sarcastic references to religion and finally, the utter hatred shown by your repeatedly trying to make comedy out of this tragedy with ridiculous references to centuries old events, all this does is just shame your fellow Canadians.
Whatever chuckles you get out of this hateful comedy of yours, I hope at some point you become aware of what you are doing and reexamine what kind of man you wish to be.

Posted by mikem at March 25, 2005 09:28 PM

The facts are that the US Congress NEVER was presented with and never endorsed or voted upon a solumn declaration of war against Iraq, as it did against Japan in 1941. That is a fact!

No matter how Mikey twists in the wind, no matter how he evades, the facts are that the American Congress FAILED in this most basic of its duties.

What in fact took place was a shameful abdication of responsibility and power and an almost insane deference to Emperor George Bush II. Senators, Congressmen, and lobbists were falling over themselves to come to support Mr. Bush and the Houston Oil Lobby.

Which is why today, America finds itself stuck in a Vietnamese Quagmire in Iraq. To date, over 1,500 dead, over 37,500 serious injuries, and well over $280 BILLION DOLLARS in the hole, passing the half way mark in the Vietnam era budget for war.

Finally Mikey confuses "hatred" for "contempt".

What other word fits a situation in a country where the "will of the people" has been so totally defied, where resolutions by Congress, the Senate and acceptance by the President, STILL DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH POWER AND AUTHORITY to simply attach a feeding tube for a vulnerable and dependent adult in Florida. You want the world to RESPECT this kind of political behavior and leadership????

Just have a close and careful look at the example being set by the American Government to a sceptical audience around the globe. Who in his right mind wants this American style of government impotence???

The time has come to lay the responsibility where it properly belongs, on the heads of Republican judges that pretend to be Christians. Mikey comes here like a braying ass and attempts to deny the obvious. But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Is it not a sad commentary on Amerika, that the only person left in its government willing to defend its Constitution, is a former member of the Klu Klux Klan in the person of Senator Byrd.

Posted by Joe Green at March 26, 2005 02:49 PM

You've gone the way of Blackglasses, Joe. Statements without regard to truth or reality, comments that support one side then the other, both melodramatic and hyperbolic, the sum of which is zero. You sound like you are either in the process of losing it or you have stopped making an effort to sound sane.
All in all, you sound like a man with a great deal of hate to live with.

Posted by mikem at March 26, 2005 06:31 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!
mikem=Matt Moulton?
Is that you OMH?

Posted by Hohoho at March 26, 2005 06:51 PM